Addiction is regarded as a family disease because every member gets affected. The entire family system goes under a lot of stress, disturbing routine and instigating horrible experiences. The consequence is that family members develop unhealthy coping mechanism as they struggle to sustain peace in the household.
Children are affected as substance abuse interrupts their normal development leading to great risk of physical and psychological issues. Children of the addicted parent have trouble in school and possibly get expelled. They are more likely to choose substance abuse themselves to handle the chaos.
How substance abuse impacts family relationships?
Due to substance abuse –
- Negative emotions get established
- Safety of other members are at stake
- Communication with family gets constrained
- There is a lack of structure and boundaries resulting in confusion and negative behavior
- Family can go in a denial mode as they are frightened to face the problem
- Relationships get damaged due to isolation and negative behavior
What’s family therapy?
In family therapy, counseling for parents of drug addicts is beneficial. Family therapy sessions can have an optimistic impact on the addiction recovery of their loved ones.
- Keep them engaged and encouraged during the treatment.
- Learn about addiction, its influence on the household as well as understand the treatment mechanism, and results to expect.
- Enable everyone in the family to discuss their concerns and feelings about the addiction of their loved ones.
- Offer the adored substance abuser great support post-treatment.
- Ease the feeling of anger, stress, fear, and confusion connected to addiction.
- Family members can develop recovery strategies to help their loved substance abuser stay on the path.
- Improve family communication skills.
- Address any psychological issues like anxiety or depression within the family, which can obstruct family communication triggering a relapse.
Involvement in the addiction recovery of dear ones increases the chance of long term success along with the enhancement of every family member’s psychological health.
Goals of family therapy associated with addiction
- Offer support to the loved one in drug treatment – This decreases the chance of relapse and helps in developing as well as sustaining positive behavioral change. Thus, promotes long term recovery from substance abuse treatment.
- Enhance the entire family’s psychological health – Family members are encouraged to forgive for past behaviors and establish trust. The feelings of sadness, anger, or frustration get extinguished and peace gets created.
Relapse is possible
The cornerstone of addiction recovery is home, health, purpose, and community but be prepared for a relapse. It is normal! It is just like any other disease like diabetes, where patients relapse at some point after they recover. Setbacks are not a catastrophe but give you a chance to evaluate your recovery plan, identify the breaches and take steps to develop the skills that were missing and caused a relapse.